Most important part of Ramadan are the last 10 nights, and with it come many special blessings and important points:
- Prophet PBUH made more worship and exerted himself during these last 10 nights more than any other nights in Ramadan - Prophet would wake up his family and spend all night making Ibada, and would stay away from his wife (implying private affairs) in order to focus on worship - Prophet would sleep during first 20 nights of Ramadan but not during last 10 nights - Our family has a right over us, so as heads of family, parents have a responsibility to ensure and remind our children and other family members to join in Ibada as well - We should also recite this dua repeatedly during the last ten nights of Ramadan:
o which means "O Allah, You are Most Forgiving, and You love forgiveness; so forgive me"
Ibada comes in different forms - Prayer, dhikr, dua
Importance of worship during last 10 nights of Ramadan - Not to miss Laylatul Qadr - By exercising vigorous worship during all 10 nights, you cannot miss it - Prophet PBUH says whomsoever stands in worship out of faith of Allah and hoping for reward from Allah during last 10 nights, then they would have their previous sins forgiven
Laylatul Qadr - Allah named an entire surah regarding this, to attest to its importance - Quran was revealed during this night
- This night is better than 1,000 months • Equivalent to > 83 years + a few months, which is greater than average lifespan of a Muslim (av: 60-70yrs) • E.x. if a muslim, for last 10 years, has been worshipping vigorously, is only about 1/8 the rewards than if we would have witnessed Laylatul Qadr
- Angels descend during this night to Earth, and bring with them blessings and mercy, all from Allah - This night is described by Allah as Peace and Safety, so salvation from punishment • There was an individual that was saved from Hell-fire as a result of their worship during
- Strong Hadith: whomsoever stands and worships on this night, out of faith and hope for rewards, Allah will forgive their previous sins
- This night is better than 1,000 months • Equivalent to > 83 years + a few months, which is greater than average lifespan of a Muslim (av: 60-70yrs) • E.x. if a Muslim, for last 10 years, has been worshiping vigorously, is only about 1/8 the rewards than if we would have witnessed Laylatul Qadr
- Will be among the last 10 nights, so worship during ALL 10 nights, so as not to miss it - Remember Allah through many avenues during these last 10 nights
• prayer - vigorously and throughout the night and in congregation with our families • dua - for our family, for Muslims, for humanity, for the sick, for the unfortunate, for protection from the COVID-19 pandemic, to protect us and salvage us • dhikr - constantly remembering Allah on our tongues throughout the day
Zakatul Fitr - Mandatory on all Muslims, male and female, young and old, on ALL people, and must be given before Eid prayer
• Equivalent to 3kgs of stable diet (equivalent to $10CAD/person)
- The head of the family would be responsible for paying this § E.x. if total 6 individuals in the family = $10x6 = $60 in Zakatul Fitr - To purify fasting and make up for any flaws during fasting in Ramadan • To provide food for the poor and needy on Eid Day, to help them to celebrate • Important to give PRIOR TO Eid salat and if given after, considered only general Sadaqat • If we have poor and needy relatives, whether they are in Canada or in another country, then they have priority over others, but ensure the money is given prior to Eid prayer
- We get 2 rewards in this case, one for Zakatul Fitr and other for maintaining good ties with relatives
- Sadaqa Muslims prefer to donate money during Ramadan for more deeds due to it being a blessed month
Zakatul Mal (due annually on a believer) - Zakat is due on Gold IF (regardless of form and purpose): • Equivalent to 85g or more AND • It was in your possession for at least 12 months • THEN you must give 2.5% on this valued amount
- Zakat is due on Silver IF: • Equivalent to 595g or more AND • It was in your possession for at least 12 months • THEN you must give 2.5% on this valued amount
- Zakat is also due on money (e.x. cash in bank account/retirement funds/RRSPs, money lent to others, etc) • Different ways to calculate, but here’s a simple way o Choose a specific date each year (e.x. 10 day of every Ramadan) o Whatever money is present in the bank account on this day from last year, summed up from ALL savings (e.x. cash in bank + retirement funds + RRSPs + money owed to you by others + others) AND
Amount is equal to or greater to $6,500 CAD (if calculated equivalent to that of 85g of Gold), you must donate 2.5% of it • Note: World Fiqh Council gave Fatwa that it should be given based on amount of Silver, NOT Gold only because of the current world situation of the poor and needy, so it lowers the threshold to allow for greater amount of donations to help the poor and needy.
So value of 595g of Silver is what we should use (check online for $ CAD amount per gram of silver) x 595, and if we have equal to or greater than this, you must donate 2.5% • E.x. CAD $0.70/g x 595g of Silver = ~$417 CAD
Salat Ul-Eid - Engage in takbeerat prior to Eid prayer - You may pray with your family the 2 raq’as • first raq’a has 7 takbeerat • second raq’a has 5 takbeerat Do NOT forget the unfortunate Muslims and people around the world during this difficult time, and make dua for them, and donate to them, and may Allah accept our efforts, inshAllah
Please note that KMRA is planning to have live online Eid Khutba by Imam Shazim on Eid day, @ 9:30 AM inshAllah. More details will be shared later. Jazak Allah Khair *Note: regarding Zakatul Mal, this is a very complex topic and has many layers to it. It is mentioned here simply as a reminder and to try and simplify it. Should you require further information and/or questions, feel free to contact Imam Shazim Khan or due your due diligence based on the research.